Briefly on permanent residence permit in Ukraine
1) Permanent residence permit in Ukraine — a document that gives a foreigner the right to live indefinitely on the territory of Ukraine and guarantees the maximum amount of rights that a non-citizen of Ukraine can have.
2) A permit for permanent residence in Ukraine gives a foreigner the following rights:
- to live on the territory of Ukraine without the need to count the days of stay and renew documents annually;
- to visit Ukraine any number of times a year or stay in the country without a visa;
- work without a work permit;
- open and freely use bank accounts;
- pay taxes as a tax resident;
- obtain visas on the territory of Ukraine for trips abroad.
3) The basis for obtaining a residence permit is an immigration permit issued by the State Migration Service of Ukraine. The right to obtain an immigration permit is provided for certain categories of foreigners, a comprehensive list of which can be found below in the detailed description of the service.
4) The validity of a permanent residence permit in the form of a booklet — indefinite, because the old-style permits did not specify the expiration date. However, such a certificate must be renewed after reaching the age of 25 or 45.
5) The validity period of a permanent residence permit in the form of an ID card — 10 years. The form of such a permit must be exchanged (permit renewal) for a new one no later than 15 working days before its expiration date. At the same time, it is not necessary to obtain an immigration permit again.
6) The term of issuing a permanent residence permit depends on the grounds. In any case, the maximum period during which the Migration Service must make a decision is one year.
7) If you have an old-style permanent residence permit, it must be replaced with an ID card within 1 month under the following circumstances:
- reaching 25 years of age;
- reaching 45 years of age;
- changing the components of the full name (surname, first name);
- changing the transliteration of the name (for example, it was Anastasiya, and it became Anastasiia);
- and also at any time if the residence permit blank is unusable (torn, laminated, obliterated photo or personal data).
Our company will help to collect the necessary package of documents and get a permanent residence permit in Ukraine quickly and without any hassle.
Contact us — consultation is free!
The cost of a permanent residence permit obtaining in Ukraine
- Preparation of a package of documents
- Submission of a package of documents to the Migration Service
- Control of the immigration permit process
- Obtaining an immigration permit
- Submission of documents for issuing a residence permit
- Assistance in obtaining a permanent residence permit
- 18700 uah
- Payment of state fees
- 1300 uah
- Confirmation of the qualifications as a highly qualified specialist
- 5000 uah
- Translation of the necessary documents into Ukrainian, certified by a notary
- from 400 uah (depends on volume and language)
- Search for an address for submitting documents in Kyiv
- by agreement
- Notarizing a power of attorney for employees of our company
- from 550 uah
- Preparation of a package of documents
- Submission of a package of documents to the Migration service
- Control of the issuance of a permanent residence permit
- Assistance in obtaining a permit
- 4000 uah
- Translation of a foreigner's passport into Ukrainian, notarized
- 400 uah
- Payment of state duty
- 1200 uah
- Service fee (when applied through a SE Document)
- 1600 uah
- Personal consultation on grounds for immigration
- Verification of existing documents, instructions for processing missing documents
- Analysis of prospects for obtaining an immigration permit
- Practical advice on the immigration and permanent residence permit process from a practicing lawyer
- 2000 uah (if further you order full support for the obtaining the documents — we will deduct the cost of this consultation from the cost of our services)
Detailed on permanent residence permit in Ukraine
What is a permanent residence permit?
A permanent residence permit is a document certifying the identity of a foreigner or stateless person and confirming the right to permanent residence in Ukraine.
Who has the right to obtain a permanent residence permit in Ukraine?
The Law of Ukraine “On the Legal Status of Foreigners and Stateless Persons” specifies that the right to obtain a permanent residence permit in Ukraine is granted to foreigners who immigrated to Ukraine and received an immigration permit to Ukraine.
What is an immigration permit?
An immigration permit is a decision of the Migration Service of Ukraine, which gives a foreigner the right to immigrate to Ukraine, that is, to move to Ukraine for permanent residence and issue a permanent residence permit.
The state does not limit the number of applications for certain categories of foreigners during the year, while others can apply for a permit only within the limits of the immigration quota.
A quota is a kind of limit on the number of people who can apply for immigration during a calendar year.
Who is eligible for an immigration permit?
A clearly defined category of foreigners and stateless persons can receive an immigration permit, the list of which is given in the table below:
|Who has the right to obtain an immigration permit||Nuances|
|Husband or wife, children and parents of citizens of Ukraine|| |
|The immigrant's spouse, minor children, and parents|| |
|Brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter of citizens of Ukraine|| |
|Persons having territorial origin from Ukraine|| |
|Persons who previously held the citizenship of Ukraine|| |
|Foreign Ukrainians, their spouses, their children|| |
| || |
|Persons affected by human trafficking|| |
|Foreigners who served/serve in the Armed Forces of Ukraine|| |
|Guardians of citizens of Ukraine, or those who are under the guardianship of citizens of Ukraine|| |
|Highly qualified specialists and workers, the acute need for which is felt by the economy of Ukraine|| |
|Workers of science and culture, whose immigration corresponds to the interests of Ukraine|| |
|Persons whose immigration is of state interest for Ukraine|| |
|Stateless persons|| |
The order of an immigration and residence permit issuance in Ukraine
- Preparation of documents from 1 w.d.
- preparation of necessary documents, statements, translations into Ukrainian and their certification
- Submission of documents for obtaining an immigration permit 1 w.d.
- a foreigner accompanied by a lawyer personally submits documents to the Migration Service
- Review of documents by the Migration Service 1 year
- verification of documents by the Migration Service
- verification of the applicant by other state bodies (SBU, National Police, etc.)
- making a decision to issue or refuse an immigration permit
- Obtaining a copy of the immigration permit to 2 weeks
- submitting an application to the Migration Service with a request to provide copies of the immigration permit
- Submission of documents for obtaining a permanent residence permit 1 w.d.
- a foreigner, accompanied by a lawyer, personally submits documents to the Migration Service or DP Document
- upon application, a foreigner is photographed, fingerprints are taken, and the signature is digitized
- if the applicant did not have a temporary residence permit or an extension of stay before that, it is necessary to obtain a D-01 visa before submitting the documents for the permit (with the exception of citizens of Azerbaijan, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Uzbekistan)
- Review of documents by the Migration Service and obtaining a permanent residence permit to 15 w.d.
- the migration service checks the documents and grants permission to issue a permanent residence permit
- the foreigner verifies the ID with fingerprints
- on the last free page of the passport, a note about receiving the passport is placed
Where application for an immigration permit takes place?
To issue an immigration permit, you need to submit an application and the required package of documents to departments of the State Migration Service at the applicant's place of residence.
What is the deadline for considering an application for an immigration permit, and what is its validity period?
The term of consideration of an application for an immigration permit cannot exceed one year from the date of its submission.
During the review of the application, employees of the Migration Service check the correctness of the submitted documents and send requests to other state bodies of Ukraine.
After making a decision to grant or refuse an immigration permit, the Migration Service sends a copy of it within three working days to the applicant's address of residence.
The permit is valid for 1 year (for the period of official quarantine in Ukraine — 2 years), during which it is necessary to submit documents for issuing a permanent residence permit. If a foreigner does not apply for a permit within the specified period, it is necessary to go through the immigration procedure again.
In addition to the Migration Service directly, the identity of the applicant for immigration is checked by the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the National Police, the SBU, the Ukrainian bureau of Interpol and the State Border Service, which within a month of receiving requests from the State Migration Service conduct checks to identify persons who are not granted immigration permits.
It is important to take into account that the National Police carries out an on-site check at the address that the applicant indicates as his address of residence in Ukraine. If the police officer does not find a foreigner at the specified address, or the residents of the house or the owners of the house do not confirm the residence of the foreigner, the police officer gives the Migration Service a negative answer, which is the basis for refusing to issue an immigration permit.
Is it possible to stay in the territory of Ukraine during the consideration of an application for an immigration permit?
If an application for an immigration permit is submitted, but the applicant does not have a temporary residence permit in Ukraine, such a foreigner has the right to extend stay in Ukraine while the immigration case is pending.
It is necessary to submit an application for extension of the period no earlier than 10 and no later than 3 working days before the end of the legal period of stay to the Migration Service, where the application for immigration was submitted. Usually, in such cases, the period of stay is extended for half a year.
The extension of the period of stay is noted in the foreigner's passport, which indicates the date until which the foreigner has the right to be in the territory of Ukraine.
The period of stay can be extended until the documents for issuing a permanent residence permit are submitted.
It should be taken into account that, if the foreigner leaves the territory of Ukraine within the scope of the extended period of stay, the stamp on the extension of the period will be canceled automatically. It will be possible to return only after the legal period of stay has been restored.
What are the grounds for denying an immigration permit?
An immigration permit is not granted:
- persons sentenced to imprisonment for a term of more than one year for committing an act that is recognized as a crime according to the laws of Ukraine, if the criminal record has not been extinguished and not removed in accordance with the procedure established by law;
- persons who have committed a crime against peace, a war crime or a crime against humanity and humanity, as defined in international law, or are wanted in connection with the commission of an act recognized as a serious crime under the laws of Ukraine, or have been notified of the suspicion of committing a criminal offence, the pre-trial investigation of which has not been completed;
- persons suffering from chronic alcoholism, drug addiction, drug addiction or infectious diseases, the list of which is determined by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine;
- to persons who deliberately provided false information or submitted forged documents in applications for immigration permits;
- persons who, based on the law, are prohibited from entering the territory of Ukraine.
What are the grounds for revoking an immigration permit?
An immigration permit may be revoked if:
- it turns out that it was provided on the basis of deliberately false information, forged documents or documents that have lost their validity;
- the immigrant has been sentenced in Ukraine to imprisonment for a term of more than one year and the court verdict has entered into force;
- actions of the immigrant pose a threat to the national security of Ukraine, public order in Ukraine;
- cancellation is necessary for health protection, protection of rights and legitimate interests of citizens of Ukraine;
- the immigrant violated the legislation on the legal status of foreigners and stateless persons.
Is it possible, in case of refusal/cancellation of the permit, to re-submit an application for its issuance?
It is possible to re-submit an application for the granting of an immigration permit, but not earlier than one year from the date of the decision on the refusal to grant the immigration permit or its cancellation. A refusal to grant a permit or a decision to revoke it can be appealed to the court.
What to do after receiving an immigration permit to Ukraine?
After obtaining an immigration permit, within the period of its validity, it is necessary to submit an application for a permanent residence permit.
- Foreigners legally residing in Ukraine must apply for a permanent residence permit to the Migration Service at their place of residence no later than 15 working days before the expiration of the temporary residence permit.
- Foreigners permanently residing outside of Ukraine must obtain a long-term visa (except for citizens of countries that issue documents in Ukraine without a type D visa) and no later than 15 working days before the end of the legal period of stay, apply to the Migration Service at the place of residence for issuance of a permit.
- Foreigners who have extended their period of stay in Ukraine in connection with the consideration of an application for an immigration permit must visit the Migration Service at their place of residence no later than 15 working days before the end of the period of stay indicated in the relevant stamp in the passport and submit an application for issuing a passport.
What is the procedure for obtaining a permanent residence permit?
The permanent residence permit card itself is issued within fifteen working days.
The permanent residence permit is issued personally to the applicant, when the permit is obtained, it is verified with fingerprints, and the passport is stamped with the receipt of a permanent residence permit in Ukraine.
After receiving the permit, you need to register your place of residence within 30 days. If the registration has already been issued with a temporary permit, you need to update the registration certificate.
At what age can you get a permanent residence permit?
According to the new rules, a permanent residence permit is issued to foreigners and stateless persons regardless of age. Therefore, if a child immigrated with an adult, then only one immigration permit is issued, but the permit is issued separately for each person.
What is the validity period of a permanent residence permit?
The term of validity of a permanent residence permit, according to the updated legislation, is 10 years.
When the validity period of the permit is coming to an end, it must be exchanged for a new one. The exchange procedure is no different from the first registration. You must apply for an exchange no later than 15 working days before the expiration date of the permit.
In what cases, the permit needs to be exchanged?
The permit is exchanged in case of:
- expiration date;
- changes in the surname, first name and patronymic of a foreigner and stateless person, etc.;
- establishment of discrepancies in the records (inconsistencies between the records entered in the permit and the records in other documents);
- unsuitability of the permit for use (damage for various reasons, etc.);
- if a foreigner reaches 25 and 45 years of age.
A foreigner must submit documents for the exchange of a permanent residence permit no later than one month after the occurrence of the relevant reasons. And no later than 15 working days before the expiration of the validity period if the exchange is carried out in connection with the expiration of the validity period.
A certificate, the exchange of which is not carried out within the established time limits, is considered invalid.
A fine is provided for violation of the exchange terms specified above, as well as for the loss of a permit.
Such a fine must be paid at the appropriate department of the Migration Service, where confirmation of payment must be obtained. After that, it is possible to apply for a permit exchange. At the same time, in addition to the standard package of documents, a document on payment of the fine must be provided.
List of documents required to get an immigration and residence permit in Ukraine
2. Passport translation
3. A document on the place of residence abroad
4. Medical certificates form No. 280/o and No. 140/o
Except: husband or wife of citizens of Ukraine (provided that they have been married for more than two years) children and parents of citizens of Ukraine persons who have the right to acquire Ukrainian citizenship by territorial origin
5. Certificate of no criminal record in the country of citizenship
6. Statement of the husband (wife), that he (she) does not object to the immigration of children together with the father (mother)
1. Title document for residential premises
2. The application is the consent of the owner/s for registration
3. Passport of the owner/s
4. Temporary residence permit + certificate of residence registration
The original passport is returned upon presentation
Depending on the state of citizenship, a type D visa or stamps with border crossings of Ukraine for the last 180 days must be available
2. Passport translation
3. A copy of the immigration permit
The original passport is returned upon presentation
2. Passport translation
3. A copy of the immigration permit
4. A document confirming the change of personal data (marriage certificate, name change, document on the change of name transliteration)
5. A copy of the protocol on payment of a fine for the loss of a passport or a late application for an exchange upon reaching 25 or 45 years of age
If necessary, employees of the Migration Service may request other documents that clarify the existence of grounds for granting an immigration permit, if this does not contradict the Law of Ukraine "On Immigration", as well as invite applicants or other persons for an interview.
Documents issued by the competent authorities of foreign countries are subject to legalization, unless otherwise stipulated by international treaties of Ukraine.
Documents whose information can be changed (various certificates, etc.) can be submitted within six months from the date of their issuance.
What you get
What is a permanent visa to Ukraine?
Is it possible to get a permanent permit without an immigration permit?
Do I need to renounce my citizenship when applying for a permanent residence permit in Ukraine?
Can a foreigner get an international passport of Ukraine, having a permanent residence permit in Ukraine?
Which countries can you visit with a residence permit in Ukraine?
Can a foreigner with a permanent residence permit in Ukraine use the visa-free regime between Ukraine and the EU?
If you divorce after obtaining a permanent residence permit on the basis of marriage with a citizen of Ukraine, do you lose the right to a permit?
If I have a permanent residence permit in Ukraine, do I need to obtain a work permit in Ukraine?
Is it necessary to have a taxpayer identification number to apply for a permanent residence permit in Ukraine?
What to do if the photo was not renewed on time in the permit upon reaching the age of 25 or 45?
“Photo renewing” is not a correct wording of the procedure that must be completed by persons who have an old-style residence permit after turning 25 or 45 years old.
Currently, the old permit must be exchanged for a new biometric card.
If within a month after you turn 25 or 45, you have not applied to the Migration Service for an exchange, you must pay a fine, and only then submit the documents for obtaining a permit.
The fine is also paid at the Migration Service, most often at the illegal migration department. Its size may vary depending on the circumstances accompanying this offence and is determined by the inspector who will impose it.