Briefly on temporary residence permit in Ukraine
1) Temporary residence permit in Ukraine (TRP) — a variant of legalization of foreigners for a period of 6 months to 3 years with the possibility of extension, without restrictions on the number of crossings and the period of stay on the territory of Ukraine.
2) Grounds for obtaining a temporary residence permit:
- business registration in Ukraine;
- marriage with a citizen of Ukraine or a migrant;
- study at a university;
- volunteer activity;
3) To get a temporary permit, you need to collect a package of documents and apply to the Migration Service at your place of residence. Provided that everything is okay with the documents and the foreigner is in Ukraine legally, the temporary residence permit will be ready in fifteen working days.
4) After receiving a temporary permit, it is necessary to register/declare the place of residence (register), for which the law gives 30 calendar days. You have to apply for the address registration to the Administrative service center.
5) When the temporary permit expires, it can be exchanged for a new one (extended), or the document can be returned to the Migration Service, where it was issued.
Our company employs the best migration lawyers. We will help you issue a temporary residence permit correctly, quickly and at an affordable cost.
Contact us — consultation is free!
The cost of a temporary residence permit in Ukraine
- Document analysis
- Preparation and formation of a package of documents for submission
- Support when submitting documents to the Migration Service or SE Document
- Control of the process of issuing a permit
- Accompanying when obtaining a temporary residence
- 4500 uah
- Translation of a foreigner's passport into Ukrainian, notarized
- 400 uah
- Health insurance policy
- 1000 uah
- State duty payment
- 1400 uah
- Service fee (when applied through a SE Document)
- 1600 uah
- Preparation of a package of documents
- Submission of a package of documents to the Migration Service
- 1500 uah
- Personal consultation on the grounds for issuing a passport
- Calculation of the terms of stay, verification of the correctness of visa registration
- Verification of existing documents
- Assistance in processing missing documents
- Practical advice on the process of issuing a temporary residence permit from a practicing lawyer
- 2000 uah (if further you order full support for the issuance of documents — we will deduct the cost of this consultation from the cost of our services)
Detailed on temporary residence permit in Ukraine
What is a temporary residence permit?
A temporary residence permit - a document that certifies the identity of a foreigner or stateless person and grants the right to reside in Ukraine for the period specified in the permit, with the possibility of extending it in case of grounds and timely application.
What are the grounds and for what period is it possible for a foreigner to obtain a temporary residence permit in Ukraine?
Grounds for obtaining a temporary residence permit in Ukraine
The validity period of a temporary residence permit in Ukraine
for the period of validity of the work permit in Ukraine (from 6 months to 3 years)
Participation in the implementation of international technical assistance projects
the term of implementation of the international technical assistance project
Preaching religious beliefs, performing religious rites or other canonical activities at the invitation of religious organizations and at the request of the relevant department of the Ministry of Culture of Ukraine
Participation in the activities of branches, branches, representative offices and other structural units of public (non-governmental) organizations of foreign countries
Work in representative offices of foreign companies in Ukraine
Work in branches or representative offices of foreign banks
| || |
Work as a correspondent or representative of foreign mass media
the period of study, which is indicated in the document confirming the fact of study in Ukraine
Participation as founders and/or participants, and/or beneficial owners of a legal entity registered in Ukraine
Arrival in Ukraine for the purpose of family reunification with citizens of Ukraine
Marriage with citizens of Ukraine during legal residence on the territory of Ukraine with a temporary residence permit obtained on other grounds or an identity card requiring additional protection
Arrival in Ukraine for the purpose of family reunification with a foreigner who is legally in the territory of Ukraine and has received a temporary residence permit or a refugee permit, or an identity card requiring additional protection
Release from the points of temporary stay of foreigners and stateless persons, on the basis of a court decision to cancel a decision on detention or forced deportation outside Ukraine
Completion of the maximum period of stay in such points. when there was no forced deportation outside of Ukraine due to the lack of a travel document, transport connection with the country of origin or for other independent reasons
|14||Provision of instructional assistance to units of the Armed Forces and other military formations or those involved in the implementation of measures to ensure national security and defense, repel and deter armed aggression of the Russian Federation 3 years||3 years|
|15||Recognition as a stateless person by the State Migration Service of Ukraine 1 year||1 year|
Foreigners and stateless persons staying on the territory of Ukraine must have a valid passport.
In case of loss or exchange of a passport document, it is necessary to notify the Migration Service in writing within three working days.
At what age can one get a temporary residence permit?
Permits are issued to foreigners and stateless persons regardless of age, provided that there are appropriate grounds and a type D visa.
Is it necessary to obtain a visa to issue a temporary residence permit?
Citizens of Azerbaijan, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, and Uzbekistan do not need a visa. All other foreigners must obtain a long-term visa (type D) in order to obtain a temporary residence permit in Ukraine.
Where can I apply for a temporary residence permit in Ukraine?
Applications for issuing permits are submitted to the departments of the State Migration Service, for the Administrative service centers, Passport, and other authorized state services at the place of residence.
As the Migration Service currently verifies the veracity of the information provided in the application for the issuance of a permit, it is important to indicate the address where the applicant actually resides when submitting the documents.
If you plan to leave Ukraine at the time of filing the documents, we recommend that you specify an address at which other residents will be able to confirm the fact of your residence.
How long does one have to wait for a temporary residence permit?
A temporary residence permit is issued within fifteen working days from the date of submission of the application for issuance or exchange of the permit.
What to do after receiving the permit?
No later than 30 calendar days from the day of receiving the permit, a foreigner is required to register place of residence. It is needed to apply corresponding documents to the Administrative services centers, the village or township council at the place of residence.
You can also declare your place of residence using the Diya Portal.
The result of both registration and declaration is the entry of data about the place of residence into the register of the territorial community of the corresponding settlement. The foreigner, in turn, needs to get an extract or an information certificate with the address.
If you change your place of residence, you must re-register and notify the Migration Service.
In what cases can a temporary residence permit be refused ?
The decision to refuse to issue a passport to a foreigner is made in the event of:
- The necessity of ensuring national security or protection of public order;
- Necessities of health protection, protection of rights and legitimate interests of citizens of Ukraine and other persons living in Ukraine;
- When a foreigner's passport document is forged, defaced, or does not conform to the prescribed model or belongs to another person;
- Submission of knowingly false information or forged documents;
- When the facts of the foreigner's non-compliance with the decision of the court or state authorities authorized to impose administrative penalties are discovered, or he has other property obligations to the state, natural or legal entities, including those related to previous deportation outside Ukraine, including after the expiration of the ban on further entry into Ukraine;
- In other cases provided by law.
What to do when the validity period of the temporary residence permit has expired?
After the expiration of the temporary residence permit, a foreigner must leave Ukraine within 7 days. At the same time, the temporary permit must be returned to the Migration Service, where it was issued.
If you do not intend to extend your temporary residence permit, we recommend that you deregister your place of residence in advance.
Is it possible to extend the validity period of a temporary residence permit?
The validity period of the permit can be extended an unlimited number of times. To do this, you need to apply for the exchange of a permitin a timely manner to the relevant department of the Migration Service. Exchange is possible only if you keep the grounds on which you received the card.
If the application for the exchange of a passport is satisfied, the previous permitblank is withdrawn, and a new one is issued instead.
When do you need to submit documents for the extension of the permit?
A foreigner must submit documents for the exchange of a residence permit due to the expiration no later than 15 working days (20-25 calendar days) before its expiration.
Is it necessary to make changes to the temporary residence permit?
In the event that during the validity period of the permit, the information in the documents that were submitted for obtaining the permit has changed, or personal data has changed, changes must be made in the following terms:
- within a month, apply for the exchange of permit — if personal data have changed;
- within 10 days, notify the Migration Service that issued the permit — if other information has changed, for example: residential address, employment position, received a new passport.
In what cases is it necessary to exchange a permit for temporary residence in Ukraine?
The certificate is exchanged in case of:
- Expiration of the permit;
- Changes in the surname, first name and patronymic of a foreigner;
- Establishing the inconsistency of entries in the permit with entries in other documents;
- Impossibility of the permit for use;
- Loss of the permit ;
- Change of the ground for issuing a permit
The order of a temporary residence permit issuance in Ukraine
- Preparation of documents 1-2 w.d.
- processing of translations of passports and other documents into the Ukrainian language, their notarization
- preparation of application, petitions, letters and other documents
- Submission of documents 1 w.d.
- a foreigner personally, accompanied by a lawyer, personally submits documents to the Migration Service or DP Document
- upon application, a foreigner is photographed, fingerprints are taken, and the signature is digitized
- Decision making by the Migration Service from 7 to 14 w.d. verification of documents by the Migration Service and decision-making
- Obtaining a temporary residence permit up to 30 min. a foreigner personally accompanied by a lawyer receives a permit
List of documents required to get a temporary residence permit in Ukraine
1. Travelling passport
Original + copies of passport pages with visa and stamp of the last border crossing With a type D visa, unless the person is not required to obtain such a visa
The original passport is returned upon presentation
2. Passport translation
3. Health insurance policy
4. Temporary residence permit in and certificate/extract of an address registration
5. Documentd that confirm the grounds on which the permit is obtained
Documents issued by competent bodies of foreign countries are subject to legalization/apostillation in accordance with the established procedure, unless otherwise stipulated by international treaties of Ukraine.
In order to issue a temporary residence permit, state authorities are prohibited from demanding documents or information from foreigners, their family members, employers and other persons not provided for by the legislation of Ukraine.
What you get
How to get a temporary residence permit?
In order to obtain a temporary residence permit in Ukraine, you must first find out whether you have grounds for obtaining it. The full list of reasons can be found on this page in the section "Detailed on a temporary residence permit in Ukraine".
If you have the right for TRP, you need to get a type D visa on the appropriate basis (with the exception of citizens of Azerbaijan, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Uzbekistan), enter Ukraine with this visa, collect a package of documents that corresponds to your basis and submit it to the Migration Service at your place of residence. Also, in some cities, documents can be submitted to Administrative service centers and Passport services.
How to get a temporary residence permit if there are no obvious reasons?
If you do not find yourself among the list of reasons above, then the best option to move to Ukraine for temporary residence is to open a business.
For this, it is necessary to establish a company where you will be the founder and director. On this basis, it is possible to issue a work permit for foreigners and stateless persons, obtain a D visa (with the exception of citizens of Azerbaijan, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Uzbekistan), and submit documents for obtaining a temporary residence permit. The permit will be valid as long as your work permit. Documents can be extended an unlimited number of times, provided that the business operates, taxes are paid, and the company reports are submitted.
If you need detailed consultation or help with the preparation of documents, contact us!
Is it possible to issue a type D visa on the territory of Ukraine?
No, it is possible to issue a visa abroad only at diplomatic offices of Ukraine or at authorized visa centers such as VFS Global.
You need to apply for a visa in your country of citizenship or in your country of temporary/permanent residence.
It is also sometimes possible to submit documents in third countries —it is necessary to clarify with the diplomatic offeices in each individual case.
What to do after receiving the permit?
After you have received a permit for the first time, you must register/declare your place of residence in the relevant Administrative service center or village or township council within 30 days.
If the registration was successful, you can get an extract about the place of residence on the Diya portal or in the body that registered you. It is not necessary to additionally bring this extract to the Migration Service.
If you have exchanged (extended) a permit, contact the Administrative service center or the village or township council where you are registered, and enter information about the new document in the register of territorial communities. If necessary, get a new extract.
How to extend a temporary residence permit?
A temporary residence permit can be extended an unlimited number of times.
However, certain conditions must be met.
First of all, in order to apply for the exchange of a permit (this is the correct name of the procedure for extending the validity of the permit), it is necessary to keep the basis on which the permit was issued. For example, if you received a permit based on marriage and later got divorced, you will no longer be able to submit documents to exchange the permit.
Another important aspect is a timely application for the exchange of documents. With the exception of emergency situations, such as war or quarantine, documents for exchange must be submitted no later than 15 working days before the document's expiration date. This date is on the front side of the passport at the bottom left in the "expiry date" column.
It is also necessary to be registered on the territory of Ukraine and not to violate the legislation of Ukraine. Even a small fine for violating parking rules can lead to a refusal to exchange a permit.
Is it possible to apply for an exchange (extension) of a temporary permit outside the place of residence?
Usually, no. However, during extraordinary circumstances, such as quarantine or martial law, documents can be submitted at the place of actual residence. However, it is important that your place of residence is in the city or region where you are applying. For example, if you actually live in the Chernihiv region, do not go to Kyiv to submit documents, submit the documents to the Migration service Department of the Chernihiv region.
What to do if the issuance/extension of the permit is refused?
What to do if the temporary residence permit was cancelled?
If you have received a message that your pemit has been revoked, the first step is to find out the reason for such a decision. Depending on the reason for cancellation, it is necessary to decide on further actions. If you see that the permit was cancelled illegally or by mistake, you must file a complaint with the State Migration Service of Ukraine with a request to review the decision to cancel the permit and renew its validity. All documents that support your arguments must be attached to the complaint.
If the cancellation occurred due to a criminal offense, etc., it is necessary to return the permit and leave Ukraine within 7 days, while at the same time dealing with the elimination of the reason for cancelling the documents. After the grounds for cancellation have been eliminated and you have returned to Ukraine with a type D visa (with the exception of citizens of Azerbaijan, Belarus, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Uzbekistan), you can re-submit documents for obtaining a permit.
What to do when the temporary residence permit has expired?
However, if the permit expired during martial law, it remains valid until the date of termination of martial law or its cancellation + 1 month. It is necessary to submit it only if you want to reissue the documents on another basis.
We also do not recommend neglecting the timely exchange (extension) of residence documents. Despite the fact that an expired permit gives the right to enter and legally stay on the territory of Ukraine, most institutions will require you to provide up-to-date documents.