Briefly on a citizenship by birth
1) Confirmation of Ukrainian citizenship applies to children under the age of 18 who:
- were born on the territory of Ukraine, and one of the parents is a citizen of Ukraine, and the other is a foreigner or stateless person;
- were born on the territory of Ukraine, and two parents are foreigners or stateless persons who are legally stay on the territory of Ukraine;
- were born outside of Ukraine, and one parent is a citizen of Ukraine, and the other is a foreigner or stateless person;
- were born outside of Ukraine, and both parents are citizens of Ukraine.
2) An application for the registration of a child as a citizen of Ukraine or for the acquisition of citizenship by territorial origin is submitted by one of the parents at the place of their registration.
3) Registration of a child as a citizen of Ukraine takes place within 90 days from the date of submission of the relevant application.
We will help you collect the necessary documents to confirm the child's citizenship and submit them to the Migration Service.
Contact us - consultation is free!
The cost of a Ukrainian citizenship confirmation
- Preparation of documents, translations of documents into Ukrainian
- Coordination of documents with the Migration Service
- Submission of a package of documents to the Migration Service
- Control of the citizenship confirmation process
- Obtaining a certificate of registration of a child as a citizen of Ukraine
- 5700 uah
- Payment of state duty
- 300 uah
- Translation of documents into Ukrainian, notarized (if necessary)
- from 400 uah (depends on volume and language)
- Personal consultation on grounds for obtaining Ukrainian citizenship for a child
- Verification of existing documents, instructions for processing missing documents
- Practical advice on the process of confirming Ukrainian citizenship for a child, obtaining a certificate of registration as a citizen of Ukraine and a Ukrainian passport from a practising lawyer
- 2000 uah (if further you order full support for obtaining documents — we will deduct the cost of this consultation from the cost of our services)
Detailed on a citizenship by birth
Which government body confirms the citizenship of children?
Applications for registration of the child's citizenship must be submitted to the Migration Service at the place of registration of the parent who plans to submit the application.
If one of the child's parents is a foreigner, and the other is a citizen of Ukraine, is it necessary to confirm citizenship?
Yes, in this case, it is absolutely necessary to submit an application for the child to acquire Ukrainian citizenship by birth, because in the future, without a corresponding certificate of registration as a citizen of Ukraine, it will be impossible to obtain foreign and domestic passports of Ukraine.
In the certificate of registration of the child as a citizen of Ukraine, it will be indicated that the child is a citizen from the day of his birth.
Who can apply for Ukrainian citizenship for a child?
One of the child's parents can submit such an application to the Migration Service at the place of registration. In the event that one of the child's parents is a citizen of Ukraine, we recommend submitting documents to him/her, as this will significantly speed up and facilitate the registration procedure.
If the documents will be submitted by a foreigner, in this case, it is absolutely necessary to have a temporary or permanent residence permit and registration/declaration of the place of residence.
If a child was born to foreigners on the territory of Ukraine, is it possible for the child to obtain Ukrainian citizenship?
According to Article 8 of the Law of Ukraine "On the Citizenship of Ukraine", a child who was born on the territory of Ukraine after August 24, 1991 and did not acquire Ukrainian citizenship at birth and is a stateless person or a foreigner for whom an obligation to terminate foreign citizenship has been submitted is registered as a citizen of Ukraine at the request of one of its legal representatives.
Thus, if the parents are foreigners, it is possible for the child to obtain citizenship by territorial origin. It is important that at the time of the child's birth, its parents were legally in the territory of Ukraine.
In this case, the date of acquisition of Ukrainian citizenship by the child is the date of registration as a citizen of Ukraine by the Migration Service.
Is it necessary to document that the child has not acquired another citizenship, or to give up the citizenship of third countries?
No, you don't need to do this. Before reaching the age of majority, the child's parents can grant him/her several citizenships — this is not prohibited by Ukrainian legislation. Therefore, during the procedure for confirming the citizenship of Ukraine, the employees of the Migration Service do not require any of the above documents, it is enough only to declare the absence of other citizenships and to sign a statement of intention to use only the passport of a citizen of Ukraine in the future.
The order of confirmation of the child's citizenship
- Preparation of documents from 1 w.d.
- translations of necessary documents into Ukrainian, their notarization
- formation of a package of documents
- Submission and review of documents at the Migration Service to 90 c.d.
- approval of the package of documents by the Migration Service
- one of the parents personally, accompanied by a lawyer, submits documents to the Migration Service
- monitoring of the citizenship registration process
- receiving a decision of the Migration Service on citizenship
- Obtaining a certificate of registration of a child as a citizen of Ukraine to 10 w.d.
- submission of an application to the citizenship department for the issuance of a citizen registration certificate
- obtaining a certificate of registration of a child as a citizen of Ukraine
List of documents required to get Ukrainian citizenship for a child
1. 5 photos of the child
2. Birth certificate of the child
3. Parents' passports and/or permits for permanent/temporary residence in Ukraine
A foreign passport must be translated into Ukrainian and a notarized copy with all pages of the passport must be certified
4. Child's statement of consent to acquire Ukrainian citizenship
Marriage certificate of parents Permanent/temporary residence permit in Ukraine
What you get
What nationality does the child have if the father is a foreigner?
If at least one of the child's parents is a citizen of Ukraine, then the child, according to national legislation, acquires the citizenship of Ukraine. However, in order to be able to get a passport for a child, it is necessary to first register the child as a citizen of Ukraine and obtain the relevant certificate.
Regarding citizenship on the part of the father, it is necessary to look at the national legislation of the state of which the father is a citizen and how it regulates the issue of citizenship of children in such cases.
How to confirm a child's citizenship? Is it necessary to confirm the child's citizenship at all if the mother is a foreigner and the father is Ukrainian?
What is a certificate of registration of a child as a citizen of Ukraine (certificate of acquisition of citizenship by birth)?
A certificate of registration of a person as a citizen of Ukraine is a document issued by the Migration Service after passing the procedure for acquiring citizenship.
In the case of children, it is issued to one of the parents after he/she has submitted documents for the child to acquire citizenship by birth (in some cases, by territorial origin), and the Migration Service has made a positive decision in the case (usually the documents are considered within 90 calendar days). When the decision on registration of citizenship is made, it is necessary to additionally submit an application for obtaining such a certificate. It is the certificate that is the basis for obtaining a passport of a citizen of Ukraine. It is issued within 10 working days after submitting an application for its registration. A state fee is charged for issuing such a certificate.
What are the deadlines for confirming a child's citizenship?
The first stage is the submission of an application for the child's acquisition of Ukrainian citizenship and its consideration by the Migration Service. This stage takes up to 90 calendar days. If the document is needed urgently, you can submit a reasoned request to speed up the consideration of the application.
After the Migration Service has made a positive decision in the case, it is necessary to submit an application for the issuance of a certificate of registration of a person as a citizen of Ukraine - this is the second stage of the procedure.
Such certificate is issued within 10 working days. Again, if the matter is urgent, it is possible to pay double the amount of the state payment and receive a certificate within 5 working days (usually 1-2 days). So, in general, the paperwork takes 2-3 months. This term may decrease depending on the workload of each regional Migration Service.
If foreigners gave birth to a child in Ukraine, is it possible to get citizenship?
Yes, a child can get Ukrainian citizenship. If two parents legally resided on the territory of Ukraine with permits (temporary or permanent), the child acquires citizenship upon the application of one of the parents upon birth.
If the parents were in Ukraine as tourists, the child can acquire Ukrainian citizenship by territorial origin if one of the parents submits an application to the Migration Service.